Frequently Asked Questions


Do I need to provide proof of language proficiency (e.g. IELTS) when submitting my application?

No, you do not have to submit a language proficiency certificate (e.g. IELTS) to your application. Your foreign language proficiency is assessed throughout the admission process, based on the entrance exam or the relevant documents which you are asked to submit.

Do I have to attach a transcript of records from previous education to my application?

You do not have to attach a transcript of records to your admission application.

However, if you graduated outside the Czech Republic and your diploma needs to be recognized, please, attach the transcript of records when you apply for recognition of your diploma – this happens only after you’ve already received an affirmative decision on your application from the relevant admission committee.

What documents should I submit with my application?

When applying for our BA programme, you do not have to submit any particular documents to your application.

When applying for one of our MA programmes, you should submit your CV, a motivation letter, and an academic paper of minimum 15 pages. More information about the admission requirements can be found here.

I will receive my previous education certificate after the application deadline. Can I submit this document once I receive it?

Yes, you can. We do not ask that you submit your previous study certificate to your application, regardless of when you receive it. We require your diploma only after you’ve received an affirmative decision on your application from the relevant admission committee.

We allow you to submit your diploma until September 30th, 2021 (please, note that by this date your diploma needs to be already recognized/nostrified). Applicants who take their final exams in September, as well as those who won't get a recognition of their foreign diploma until the end of September, are allowed to submit a copy of a their education certificate no later than October 22, 2021. Please, keep in mind that the academic year already starts in the beginning of October!

When should I send you my proof of previous education?

If you are applying for our BA programme, you should wait until you pass the entrance exam to apply for recognition and send us your high school diploma. If you are applying for an MA programme, you should wait for the assessment of your submitted documents (CV, motivation letter, academic paper) and only submit the previous study certificate if you receive an affirmative decision on your application from the relevant admission committee.

Does my previous education certificate have to be translated into Czech or English?

Yes. For the recognition process, we will accept only copies with a Czech or English translation.

Are my high school grades evaluated in the admission process?

No, your application is not judged based on your previous grades or GPA.

The length of compulsory education in my country differs from the one in Czech Republic. Can I still apply?

Yes. As long as you received an official state-mandated certificate proving the level of your education, the length of your studies is not important to us.

I’m a special needs student. How can I request that the admission process be tailored to my needs? How can I request relevant special services and/or assistance from the University?

Our Faculty is fully accommodating of all special needs students and will do the most to make your studies the best they can be. Let us know about your individual situation at and we can find a solution together.

Can I transfer to your Faculty from another school?

Unfortunately, transfers as such are not supported by our Faculty. You have to go through the whole admission process and be officially accepted into our Faculty if you want to study with us. You can officially request that some of the relevant courses which you’ve already completed at your previous university are recognized – this means that you would be awarded (optional) credits for already completing some relevant courses. The decision on course recognition lies with the respective department to which you are applying.

What are the differences between recognition of the diploma and nostrification? Which one do I need?

The differences are in validity, length of the process, price, and institution. Recognition by the faculty is intended for a single use only (i.e. one admission process) while nostrification has life-long validity and is a document proving general recognition. The nostrification process could take up to 3 months and costs more; recognition takes up to 30 days, costs CZK 870, and is done by the Faculty itself, while nostrification is issued by one of the universities in Czechia or other institutions, depending on your previous studies.

We suggest submitting a request for recognition by the faculty because it is a faster process and we can help you with the application. Regarding nostrification, the whole process lies with the relevant authorities (a university, regional authorities (“krajský úřad”), the Metropolitan Authority of the Capital City of Prague (“Magistrát hlavního města Prahy”), the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports) rather than the Faculty itself.

What is superlegalization and apostille? When are these procedures necessary?

Apostille is an international certification valid for member states of the Hague Conference on Private International Law. It is a stamp issued by the state which is party to the Hague convention.

Superlegalization is a legalization process of certifying a document (diploma) so a foreign country (Czech Republic in this case) will recognize it as fully legal.

They may be necessary for the diploma recognition process. You can check on the internet whether your country is a participant of the Apostille Convention. If it is not, you will have to go through process for countries that did not sign Hague Convention - that is, superlegalization.

When will I get an official Letter of Acceptance?

BA applicants: After you pass the entrance exam, we will send you an invitation for enrolment. At this point, you are not yet officially accepted - this happens only after you provided us with your previous education certificate. After you fulfil the second admission requirement (recognition of your high school diploma), we will issue a letter of acceptance.

MA applicants: After you fulfil all of the admission requirements (submitting the relevant documents and providing proof of previous education), we will send you two official letters: invitation for enrolment and a letter of acceptance.

Entrance Exam (BA in Liberal Arts and Humanities)

I will not be able to attend the entrance exam on the scheduled date. How can I apply for an alternative date of the exam? When is the alternative date?

If you know that you won’t be able to participate the exam, you can write us an e-mail request for an alternative date.

Where can I find a reading list for the entrance exam?

There is no official reading list for the entrance exam. The exam is meant to test reading comprehension, English proficiency, and individual thinking – it does not focus so much on factual knowledge of specific academic texts, but on your abilities to understand and analyse ideas put forth in the given textual excerpt.

If you would like to prepare for the exam, you can start by reading relevant academic books – works of Hannah Arendt or José Ortega y Gasset should provide a good starting point. However, you don’t have to limit yourself to these authors – reading and analysing any sort of academic literature relevant to the study programme you are applying for should give you the skills necessary to pass the exam.

Alternatively, you can sign up for our preparatory course which is designed to prepare you for the entrance exam. It allows you to take a mock exam and provides you with helpful feedback from our teaching staff.

How can I register for the preparatory course? How can I pay for the course?

Applications can be submitted via our online Admission portal. Course capacity is limited to 100 participants. The course fee is 100€. The fee is automatically generated after the submission of the application. The payment details will be sent to you by email. More course instructions will be available to you as soon as you apply for the course and successfully pay the course fee. More information about the preparatory course is available here.

Online Entrance Exam - BA in Liberal Arts and Humanities

Is this an open book exam? Can I use any dictionaries or books while writing the exam?

Yes, you may use printed or online dictionaries.

What should I do if I cannot attend the exam on the specified date? Is there an alternative date of the exam?

In case you cannot attend the exam on its original date, you can request an alternative date of the exam which should take place in June. You can submit a request no later than three days after the original exam date. You can submit your request by .

Can I edit my answers after I finished and submitted my exam?

Unfortunately, you cannot edit your answers after submitting them. You only have 1 attempt at the exam so go through your answers thoughtfully before the final submission.

When will I get my results? How can I access them?

Your results will be announced in your online application in the Student Information System no later than a week after the exam.

How do I submit my answers correctly?

After you have finished writing your answers, click on the button “Finish attempt…”. After clicking this link, you will still have the opportunity to review your answers by clicking the button “Return to Attempt”. If you have reviewed your answers and are ready to submit them, click on “Submit all and finish” and confirm your decision in the pop-up box. At this point, your answers are officially submitted. Please, refer to the instructions on how to work with Moodle which were sent to you via e-mail.

What should I focus on when working with the text?

The main goal of the entrance exam is to see whether the applicant can comprehend main ideas in the provided text and the relationship between them. Your answers are assessed mainly on factual accuracy and comprehension of the line of thought provided in the textual excerpt. You should be able to formulate your own reflection of the text and write it in a way that is understandable, clear, and logical. While grammar is not assessed as part of the exam, well-formulated answers help our assessors understand and trace your own line of thought.

Who can I contact if I’m experiencing any issues with the admission process or entrance exam?

You can contact at any time with your questions or issues. We will be happy to help!

Where can I find the instructions for the online entrance exam?

The instructions on how to submit the exam are available here.


I’m having issues with my visa approval procedure. What should I do?

While our Faculty can do little to speed up or resolve issues with your visa approval procedure, we understand the difficulties that can arise during this process. If you are experiencing any issues, be sure to let us know at so we are aware of your situation and can act accordingly.

Is the tuition same for EU and non-EU residents?

Yes, the tuition fees are the same for EU and non-EU residents.

Does the Faculty offer any scholarships that cover the tuition fees?

Our Faculty does not provide any grants or other funding options that are intended to cover tuition fees of foreign-language study programmes. However, there are many scholarships offered by governmental and private institutions which can help you cover the tuition fees - to start, have a look at our Scholarship section.

Where can I find the course catalogue?

The study plans for our study programmes are available on the individual programme webpages in the “Admissions” section. The course catalogue can be found in the Student Information System, via the “Subjects” section, which can be found here.

Does the Faculty offer a Czech language course?

Yes, the Faculty offers single semester Czech language courses to both exchange students and full degree international students of the Faculty of Humanities. Find more information about these courses here.

How can I make a reservation at the university dormitories? When should I book my accommodation?

If you are enrolling in your first year at our Faculty, our Student Administration office will be happy to help you with your accommodation reservation at one of your preferred dormitories. Contact us at and we will send you a reservation form based on which we will communicate on your behalf with the university Dormitories and Refectories during the booking process. After your first year, the Faculty will no longer provide reservations for you and you should arrange your accommodation on your own.

We suggest that you book accommodation as soon as possible as student dormitories and apartments are usually in high demand in Prague. Therefore, we suggest making your reservation well in advance – ideally, several months before the start of your studies.

Last change: February 14, 2024 14:45 
Share on: Facebook Share on: Twitter
Share on:  
Your feedback

Charles University

Faculty of Humanities

Pátkova 2137/5

182 00 Praha 8 - Libeň

Czech Republic

Other contacts

Getting to us